To initially qualify, an investor must:
- Prove the origin of the investment amount ($500,000) and service and legal costs. Documentation is required, supporting the legal source and path of funds and method of accumulation.
- Have a joint net worth of $1,000,000 (principal applicant and spouse), excluding the value of the primary residence and related indebtedness; OR have individual income (principal applicant) of $200,000 in each of the last 2 years and the current year; OR have joint income (principal and spouse) of $300,000 in each of the last 2 years and the current year.
- Maintain his/her investment for a period of five years.
- Accept that the government prohibits a guaranteed investment return or guarantees that eliminate all investment risk.
- Have no prior criminal convictions or immigration violations.
- Have no major health issues, and pass a standard medical test.
- Intend to spend at least 6 months per year in the United States, and not be absent for more than 6 months at a time (required to maintain residency status).
- Have no intention to abandon permanent residency in the United States.